St. Matthew's Church, Newtownmountkennedy

The earliest known church to serve the people of Newcastle and Newtownmountkennedy was at Killadreenan near to St. Catherine's Well. It fell into disuse in the 15th century and is now an ivy covered ruin. The church in Newcastle then served the whole parish until the years 1820 to 1830 when it could no longer accommodate all the parishioners. In 1832 Robert Gun Cunninghame donated a site to build a Chapel of Ease and a school in Newtownmountkennedy. The school and master's accommodation were finished first in 1833 and services were held there until 1835 when they could be held in the new church although it was not completed until 1837.

Due to lack of money it was not consecrated until 22nd September 1895 when it was also dedicated to St. Matthew.

Home | Services » Churches » Organisations »
News & Events » Photo Gallery | Links | Contact Us | Parish Newsletter (PINS)

Sitemap